Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week 3: The Art of Possibility 5-8: Response to Ginny

Virginia Holm writes:
Week 3 Reading Blog Post

Chapter 5: Being a leader doesn’t mean being a dictator. I enjoyed this chapter because the authors learned that from experience. When you are good at something and want to teach others you don’t have to boast or make them feel inferior because they aren’t up to your expected skill level. I admire leaders who treat people as equals and mentor with honesty and integrity. I also like people who really know what they are doing. I try to put myself in my student’s seat when I teach. I don’t want to talk down to them or make them feel stupid for not learning or being as excited about learning as I expect them to be. You should know your audience and try to find a common ground. As for listening to people who can help you succeed, the key word is “listen”. Few people do that anymore. They think of a response as you are still speaking to them. Listening is a huge factor in success.

Chapter 6: I totally wrote down Rule number 6 – don’t take yourself so seriously. My husband used to tell me when we worked in sales together and I got so upset when a delivery went wrong, or someone cancelled an order “don’t sweat the small stuff, and it’s all small stuff.” A calm voice from a friend, coworker or a gentle inner reminder can often help a situation go from drama to calm and professional. Avoiding conflict and strife, whether it’s caused directly or indirectly allows you to pursue goals more clearly and successfully.

Chapter 7: Most of us want to succeed and advance yet only some of us will actually get there. Getting there is part luck, part knowledge, timing, and patience. While you shouldn’t accept your fate like the cow, having a good attitude like her is key. Panic and frustration reflect in your work and personality. Taking the time to learn how things flow, who everyone is and what role they play before pursuing your road to the top can make it a much smoother ride. It also would be wise to seek out a mentor from the “barn” that your are joining. You may be overlooked, but with the right attitude, good work ethic, and a few barn fans you’ll get there eventually.

Chapter 8: Sometimes it’s easier to shut out how your feel so you don’t get hurt. Even in the classroom you can come in on some days and are just off. Your defenses are up and it projects in your presentation. I’ve done that for whatever reason. A day gone bad, the cafeteria menu was not what I expected, my students didn’t do their homework… and every time my students pick up on it and ask “Mrs. Holm, are you in a bad mood today?” That totally snaps me out of it. There is no reason to bring your negative attitude to work or to the classroom. Your performance will always suffer and so will the respect of your peers and students. That being said, sometimes my students just don’t care. It would be easy to not care back, but I tend to do the opposite and work harder to find an element in the lesson that will spark their attention. The enthusiasm and energy I feel toward the topic will usually win them over. I try really hard to not let anyone leave my classroom with a negative experience.

David Hotler says:

Great farm reference about Chapter 7! I am currently working to do exactly what you mentioned. I listen, think before I act and make strong relationships with all friends. I want to be sure that when the time is right I will have the support I need to climb higher. With that said I have to remember to focus on my students and judge success by the many factors of their success. In reference to chapter 8 I try to do the same. Sometimes I come to work and I have a bad attitude or am having a bad day. I agree that it is best to leave that at home and if you find it at work to get over it. But I also think that sometimes it is good for your students to see a grumpy side of you. They can connect with the fact that you are human and we all have bad days. I like that when they approach you, you make an effort to fix your attitude and make the day better. If a teacher allows themselves to keep the grump then they can never expect students to shrug it off when they are in a crummy mood too. Thank you for leading by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment