Thursday, October 14, 2010

BP9 Aviary.com




I discovered Aviary.com while using StumbleUpon.com (Warning: Using this Firefox plug in may take many hours of you life leaving you feeling and amazed!) Here is the basic idea behind Aviary:

1.  I have a problem that requires the creation of a digital image, sound, or graphic and I do not have the software I need to complete the task.

2.  Use one of the many FREE cloud based tools to accomplish this task.





















3.  Save to the cloud and export to my disk in many various formats.
4.  Prepare an amazing soundtrack for a lesson or video. Add mark up to screen shots.  Hold a t-shirt design competition for the entire school.

With Aviary, students, teachers, administrators, and business professionals can utilize the power of expensive, confusing software in a free easy to understand interface.



















From the perspective of a Technology Education teacher I have found this tool very helpful in my introductory level courses.  The site provides a fast and easy way to create high quality digital media.  This is very useful for easing students into the “big picture” learning curve of digital media creation software. I have even observed the first signs of evidence that the site is a catalyst for passion and talent in other more advanced courses.

Many of my students use this tool to create t-shirt designs for Threadless.com.  This site hosts designs to the public for viewing and voting. Highly ranked shirts get printed and the selected artists make money on sales.  I can’t wait for a student to get selected!

Even with these ideas and more I think the very best part of this Web 2.0 tool is the price, scope, and weight.  No downloads or particular platforms are required for all of the many tools and the price is set at free.

Here is a sample beat I made for you listening pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. This tool seems really cool. I can see my students spending too much time on the website. I could also see myself using it for lessons. I need all the help I can get to be more creative. Thanks for introducing me to another tool I can use in my classroom.

    Your funky drum beat was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great tool to engage the creative mind of a student! I am sure the motivation to have their work selected helps drive their designs.

    ReplyDelete